Monthly Archives: January 2014

The Dangers of Dogs and Chocolate

Written by our vet (Simon Hayes BVM&S MRCVS)

I think most people are now aware of the dangers of chocolate to dogs, unfortunately I don’t think dogs have realised yet.

Recently a little dog called pickles happily walked in wagging his tail. His owner had been out and when she came back, the box of chocolate truffles which had been attached safely to the Christmas tree, was nowhere to be seen. Just a small piece of the cardboard box was left, semi-chewed on the floor. Little did Pickles know that he had actually eaten enough to be a toxic dose that could potentially kill him. Chocolate contains caffeine and in this is a substance called Theobromine. This is what gives us a 10-20 minute rush after eating chocolate, but dogs metabolise Theobromine very slowly and it causes all sorts of problems. Dark chocolate is much more dangerous, but Pickles had eaten enough milk chocolate to be a problem.

We injected him with a drug to make him vomit. And wow did he vomit! If you’ve never had the pleasure of multiple chocolate vomits you’re missing out. It’s enough to put you off (for a few hours anyway!). I felt that hopefully we had got to him in time and the amount of chocolate he brought up should have stopped its absorption. To be safe we administered an activated charcoal solution to soak up the toxins. Poor Pickles – he looked like a chimney sweep with charcoal all stuck to his beard. Imagine the nurse’s joy when he shook his head spraying charcoal and chocolate vomit around the room!!!

Pickle’s heart rate continued to go up and his ECG showed a sinus tachycardia which can be very dangerous so we started him on Beta blockers to slow his heart down. He was put onto intravenous fluids and monitored overnight. Fortunately, his heart stabilised and he never developed seizures. He was one of the lucky ones.

There are so many dangers to dogs and cats at this time of year. Just take a look at the terrible advert Morrisons put out (which they have now withdrawn) showing a boy feeding Christmas pudding to his dog. Raisins and sultanas are also toxic to dogs and can cause fatal kidney failure.

Athena the Labrador

Yesterday we re-homed a lovely dog called Athena as her owner’s son sadly developed an allergy towards their pets. She went to an amazing fur-ever home on a huge farm, where she joined a pack of 6 farm dogs. Anyway she has settled in really well and her new owner text me this morning to let me know how she had settled in… Well let’s just say, she slept on his bed all night.

We still have Athena’s friend to rehome who is a beautiful red Cocker Spaniel, she is female and has not been spayed. She has just had her annual vaccinations and health check. She has also been wormed and treated for fleas.

See pictures below of Athena the yellow Labrador in her new home and 2 members of her new family (black Labradors) and also a picture of Goldie who is still looking for a new home.

Contact Tom on 020 8367 4625 OR for more information.

Athena the Labrador and Friends

Athena the Labrador and Friends








Review from Shara’s owner

I am writing to thank you for looking after Shara over Christmas and New Year, (although I personally find it difficult to leave her in kennels as i miss her so much) Shara  on the other hand really looks forward to coming for a rest. She has stayed 6 times to date with 2 more holidays booked. This time her driver arrived I could hardly hold on to her lead as she ran and jumped in the back and sat ready to go with a smile, she came back to us soft and shiny and smelling like she had just left a beauty spa, I am so happy to have found such a great holiday home for her.

Kindest regards Celine and “Shara”

Imagine feeling like you always have grit in your eyes!

Dry Eye is a condition where your dog produces insufficient tears or tears of poor quality that do not provide lubrication and moisture for the surface of the eye. The consequences of this are serious and often lead to blindness.

FACT: Pug’s are one of the at-risk breeds for this condition.

The symptoms are not always obvious but can include:
•    Uncomfortable eyes – your dog may rub the eyes, blink excessively, or keep the eyes closed
•    Red and inflamed eyes
•    Build-up of sticky mucous in the eye
•    Frequent eye infections or corneal ulcers

We highly recommend that you get a specific Dry Eye examination for your dog.

Treatment for this condition is very effective and will prevent damage to the surface of the eye. In addition it will relieve discomfort in your pet’s eyes.

Call our Vet on 020 8360 2020 Village Vet Winchmore Hill (Simon is an eye specialist)